Interested in helping future pharmacists?
The first 5th-year placements of the new integrated pharmacy programme will begin in January 2020. APPEL is now accepting expressions of interest from pharmacists who would like to facilitate an experiential learning placement for a 5th-year pharmacy student.
* Placements can be in community or hospital practice settings
* Placements will last 8 months from the 6th of January to the 28th of August
* Trainers must be 3+ years registered with the PSI
* Training and support will be provided to all pharmacists facilitating placements
The first cohort of students on the new integrated pharmacy programme are about to reach their final year. APPEL are excited to support students in one of the last “firsts” of their pharmacy degree, their final experiential learning placement. Students will have previously completed a 2-week placement in 2nd year and a 4-month placement in 4th year and are now looking forward to completing their 8-month 5th-year placement.
Pharmacists who have previously taken students in their 2nd and 4th years have found the experience enjoyable and rewarding. In surveys, 90% of pharmacists said they would recommend facilitating a placement to other pharmacists. The advantages of facilitating an APPEL placement include:
* Continuing Professional Development – APPEL Trainer Training can contribute to your CPD, as can the experience of facilitating a placement.
* Development of your talent pipeline – 5th-year students are close to completing their studies and may soon be looking for their first role as a pharmacist.
* Engagement – participating in the APPEL programme provides you with the opportunity to increase awareness of your pharmacy/organisation. APPEL training and events provide fantastic networking opportunities to meet with your current and future peers.