This programme has been developed by the Health Service Executive (Addiction Services) as one of a number of CPD programmes for pharmacists in the area of addiction.
This programme is an online programme and comprises two modules: (1) Harm Reduction and; (2) Opioid Substitution Treatment (OST). Harm Reduction is intended as an introductory module and will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. The main module "Opioid Substitution Treatment (OST)" takes approximately 90 minutes to complete.
You must be logged in to book a place on this programme.
At the end of this programme you will be able to:
- define harm reduction and its role in treating people who use drugs;
- describe the role of pharmacy in implementing harm reduction services;
- identify the legal requirements and practice guidance from the PSI relevant to opioid substitution treatment (OST) that will help you practice legally;
- describe the pharmacology of OST;
- describe the elements of an OST programme to ensure safe and rational supply of opioid agonist medication;
- identify actions to enhance the provision of harm reduction services in the pharmacy.