This online course aims to build on your existing theoretical and practical knowledge of diabetes in the context of pharmacy in Ireland.
It should take approximately 10 hours to complete; however this does not have to take place over one sitting.
To provide health professionals with the knowledge to deliver evidence-based care to patients with diabetes.
Having completed this course you should be able to:
- identify risk factors associated with developing diabetes
- distinguish between type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- describe evidence-based practice in managing patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- recognise the various parameters that are used to judge metabolic control
- make recommendations to prevent the complications of diabetes or manage them should they occur and educate patients in relation to this
- provide guidance on monitoring diabetes in special cases, such as pregnancy
- provide accurate, quality and safe information to patients and healthcare professionals regarding pharmacological management of diabetes
- encourage and facilitate patient adherence to medicines.